International Students

The MS-HCI program welcomes international students. There are two important sources of information for international applicants:  

  • The Office of International Education at Georgia Tech assists with visas and offers a range of support services. For inquiries related to international applicants, they serve as the primary resource for obtaining answers. 

  • The Office of Graduate Education is an important resource for international students navigating the application process. That office provides a checklist of important tasks that international students must complete before, during, and after the application process.  

All international applicants from countries in which English is not the primary native language must take either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test, except international students who have attended a college or university in the United States for at least one academic year (two semesters or three quarters). No other language tests may be substituted; TOEFL and IELTS are the only tests accepted by Georgia Tech.  

A good source of information regarding English Proficiency requirements may be found in the FAQs of the Office of Graduate Education.  

The minimum score for acceptance to the MSHCI program is 100 for TOEFL and 7.5 for IELTS. These are higher than, and take precedence over, the minimum Georgia Tech requirement. Scores for admitted students in recent years have been much higher than these minimums.  

To maintain your F-1 international student visa, you will be required to be a full-time student, taking 12 credit hours per semester.   

Although financial aid is unfortunately not available for international students, some of our international students find opportunities to work as a GRA (Graduate Research Assistant) or GTA (Graduate Teaching Assistant) in later semesters. These positions provide a monthly stipend and waiver of tuition (but not a waiver of fees or the MSHCI tuition supplement above regular graduate tuition). For more information about GRAs and GTAs and how to find one, please visit the Funding Page.